Library Front Desk Assistant
Purpose: Perform customer service duties necessary for the effective operation of the Access Services Department
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
• Provides a welcoming atmosphere by greeting and being attentive as patrons enter the library or approach the desk, e.g. look up from work, don’t let friends camp out, no earbuds/headphones.
- Checks for patron reservations and conveys information about Covid-19 procedures
• Demonstrates reliability by turning up for shifts and finding substitutes when necessary.
• Uses the Library computer system to check out and check in books.
• Finds books and journals for patrons through Discovery, locates print books and journals for patrons within the Library and directs patrons to Research staff as appropriate.
• Answers the telephone and transfers calls as necessary.
• Assists in managing Reserves by:
o Providing professors the proper paperwork when they ask to put something on Reserve.
o Informing patrons using Reserve items that the items need to stay in the Library and be returned within 3 hours.
o Checking in Reserve items and replacing them on the Reserve shelves.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
• Assists patrons in using technology such as the scanner and HoundPrint.
• Fills printers with paper and changes toner as necessary.
• Assists with InterLibrary Loan as necessary and carries out proper procedures when InterLibrary Loan items are checked in and checked out.
• Assists students with basic research questions when the Research staff is not available, including demonstrating the use of Research Guides.
• Carries out proper opening and closing procedures as needed.
• Carries out regular headcounts.
• Becomes familiar with the Library of Congress classification system in order to shelve books and journals.
• Other duties as assigned